I know, I know, just a couple days ago I said I wasn’t feeling chocolate for Valentine’s Day this year and here I am with a dang brownie post! But then I realized that Valentine’s Day is far away and I might be feeling chocolate then, and you might too!
Girl! I was right! I’m in a chocolate mood again. Those sunshine sandwich cookies helped my winter blues and I’m ready for ALL the chocolate.
Thankfully, these Salted Almond Brownies came into my life!
They are insanely chocolatey, nutty and toasty. They taste like if marzipan and brownies had a baby covered in dark chocolate olive oil ganache. Yeah, you need these.
Another thing that sets these brownies apart is the texture. There are chewy bits, there are crispy bits, there are fudgey bits, there’s that crackly top that brownies have to have. How, you might ask, did I get such a variety of textures all throughout the brownies? Well, I’d like to tell you I’m a mastermind and that this was my plan all along. But no, I figured it out by accident. You need to remove the brownies at around 15 minutes and stir them. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but it makes an insanely good brownie. You’re going to have to trust me.
I hope you enjoy these salted almond brownies with your gals, guys, friends or just by your dang self this Valentine’s day, or really any other day of these year. You deserve some chocolate.
For the batter:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1/2 tsp espresso powder
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup flour plus more for sprinkling
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp almond extract
For dark chocolate olive oil ganache:
1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
1/8 cup half and half
2 tsp olive oil
Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Once the oven has been preheated, place the slivered almonds on the lined baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown and aromatic.
- Combine the espresso powder, cocoa powder, almond extract, olive oil and canola oil in a bowl. Whisk to combine and allow to sit for a couple minutes.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Beat together the sugars and eggs until lump-free.
- Add in half of the cocoa mixture to the egg and sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Add in the flour and stir until combined.
- Add the remaining cocoa mixture and whisk to combine.
- Fold in two thirds of the toasted almonds.
- Spray a brownie pan with nonstick spray and coat with flour.
- Pour in the batter and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the brownies from the oven and stir vigorously.
- Return the brownies to the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow to cool before cutting.
- To make the ganache add chopped dark chocolate, half and half and olive oil to a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave the mixture in 30 second intervals until the mixture is fully melted and smooth.
- Once the brownies are cut, drizzle with the ganache and sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds and sea salt. Enjoy!