I want to get out ahead of this: these aren’t authentic. I’ve never actually had a Jamaican beef patty since I’m a vegetarian. However, Jamaican beef patties are my dad’s favorite food, and I really wanted to learn how to make them for him. So after a lot of research, and some helpful taste testers, I can vouch for the fact that these taste good, even if they are not the most authentic.
Another way these aren’t authentic is that I’ve developed a vegetarian version so I can finally try a Jamaican beef patty. The ground beef in this recipe can be replaced by either a crumbled Beyond Burger, cooked quinoa or your preferred vegetarian ground beef replacement. Its as simple as that!
For the spice in this recipe, I used Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot Sauce. It’s delicious but hard to find (my boyfriend had to track it down on a business trip to Oregon). An awesome alternative is my Jerk- Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce, but you can use ketchup or any jerk seasoning blend you like.
You could use pre-made pie crust for this recipe, but the addition of curry powder really makes these hand-pies. Also, this recipe for homemade pie crust is really easy and makes amazing crust. Sometimes a little extra effort is worth it, and I firmly believe pie crust is one of those times.
1/2 cup butter, frozen
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup ice water
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water
1 pound ground beef or a couple Beyond Burgers
1/4 of a white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons jerk seasoning, ketchup or my Jerk- Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup water
- Freeze half a cup of butter until completely frozen solid.
- Once the butter is frozen, fill a cup measure with 1/4 cup water and a few ice cubes.
- Sift 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, curry powder and one pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- With a cheese grater, grate the butter into the bowl of flour.
- With your hands, rub the butter into the flour, adding just enough of the ice water to form a dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill.
- While the dough chills, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and spices.
- Once the beef is browned, add the jerk sauce or ketchup and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water to make an egg wash.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut out dough to the size you’d like your pies to be. I made mine around the size of an iphone.
- Place a couple teaspoons of mixture into each piece of dough.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and fold the dough over.
- Crimp the edges with a fork.
- Cut three vents in the top of each pie and brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pies are golden brown and glossy.
- Serve warm with Mango Habanero Hot Sauce, Jerk- Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce, or ketchup and enjoy!