Is there a food better than garlic bread? Probably not. My no-knead recipe makes it soooo easy for you to make garlic bread for your vegan and non vegan friends alike. I’ve been baking a lot of bread recently, and this is one of the easiest bread recipes I’ve made. It’s so easy that you could even make the dough ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. On the day you want to bake, remove the dough from the fridge, let rise for 45 minutes and follow the recipe from step seven.
3 cups water, slightly warmer than body temperature
10 ice cubes
1 tsp sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
1- 1 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
6 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus an extra 1/2 cup for dusting the loaf and the board
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
Sea salt for garnishing
Optional: Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Dissolve one packet of active dry yeast, one teaspoon sugar, and one and a half teaspoon salt into three cups of lukewarm water. Stir gently to dissolve and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Measure six and a half cups of flour.
- Add the flour to the water and yeast mixture all at once and stir with a spoon or your hands until combined and there are no dry flour patches. Be careful not to over work the dough.
- Mince four cloves of garlic and fold gently into the dough.
- Drape a towel or piece of parchment over the bowl and let it rise for two hours at room temperature. Don’t worry about it checking on it, just walk away for two hours and it’ll be ready when you come back.
- After two hours, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a sheet pan or a loaf pan with parchment paper and dust the paper with flour.
- Gently form the dough into a loaf and place on the lined sheet pan or put the dough in a lined loaf pan.
- Brush the top of the loaf with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake the baking tray with the dough on the middle rack of the oven. Place an oven safe baking dish or another baking sheet with 10 ice cubes on the bottom rack. This will cause steam in the oven which allows the crust to stay soft in the first stages of baking so the loaf can expand freely while the yeast is still active.
- Bake the bread for about 25-35 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit, until the crust is browned and firm.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and slice the bread. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and/or Everything Bagel Seasoning.