Is it autumn if you didn’t make pumpkin bread? Probably not. Treat yourself to these buttermilk dark chocolate pumpkin muffins! They are fudgey, chocolatey and topped with a cream cheese icing.
Make sure to use dark chocolate cocoa powder if you can, and unsweetened pumpkin puree. This recipe could also easily be poured into a loaf pan and baked as a bread, but I love the portability of these muffins!
Makes about 12 muffins
For the muffins
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 tsp espresso powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the icing
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1-2 tbs half and half
2-4 tbs powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Cream butter, white and light brown sugar together until fluffy.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and cinnamon until smooth.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, vanilla and espresso powder to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients slowly and whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- While the muffins bake, combine the half and half and microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Stir mixture until smooth and add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Drizzle the icing over the cooled muffins and enjoy!