I have been obsessed with ramen recently. Sadly, not with the authentic, vegetable filled kind. I totally would be, except I live in cow country, and there aren’t many (or any) places to get ramen that doesn’t come with a flavor packet. At first, I was doctoring instant ramen with vegetables, eggs and spices. However, as I read more about instant ramen, I grew increasingly worried about the nasty preservatives involved in those convenient, but borderline toxic packages of seasoning and noodles. So, I set out to make my own ramen from scratch. This one is full of vegetables, homemade broth (although any good vegetable broth will work!) and some non-traditional spices. I’ve traded the seasoning packet for soy sauce, herbs and my Jerk Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce and deep fried instant noodles for Simply Asia Japanese style ramen noodles that cook quickly on the stovetop without those same scary preservatives. Although this recipe takes more effort than putting instant noodles in the microwave, your tastebuds, and health, will thank you!
Makes 3-4 bowls
2 large carrots, shredded or cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
1-2 tbs vegetable oil
2 quarts vegetable stock, approximately
1 large cucumber, cut into thin strips
2 blocks dried ramen noodles- I like Simply Asia brand noodles
2 eggs, soft boiled
1 tbs butter
1/2 block firm tofu
1/4 cup cornstarch
2-4 tbs Jerk- Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce or jerk marinade
soy sauce to taste
scallions to taste
sesame seeds, for garnishing
- Add vegetable stock and 2 tbs of Jerk Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce or jerk marinade to a 3 quart pot.
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil over medium high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to package.
- In another pot, bring water to a boil. Once it boils, reduce to an aggressive simmer and add two eggs. Boil for around 7 minutes and remove from water.
- Add 1 tbs butter to boiling vegetable stock.
- While the noodles and eggs cook, cut the tofu into bite size rectangles and brush them with Jerk Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce or jerk marinade.
- Cover each side of the pieces of tofu with a thin layer of cornstarch and pan fry in 1-2 tbs vegetable oil.
- Place pan fried tofu on a plate lined with paper towels to cool slightly.
- Peel the eggs and slice in half.
- To plate the ramen, start by adding the noodles and broth to a bowl. On top, lay the carrots, cucumbers, eggs and tofu. Sprinkle scallions over the vegetables and add a drizzle of Jerk Inspired Tomato & Chili Sauce or jerk marinade over the tofu. Add soy sauce to taste. Sprinkle the entire bowl with sesame seeds. Enjoy!